Wednesday, August 01, 2012

ANOTHER CON, ANOTHER COMIC

Just a couple things to share this week. I'll be attending Wizard World Chicago (or Chicago Comic Con) next Thursday though Sunday, August 9th-12th. Click on the link for more info. I'll be selling books, sketches, prints and original art, so if you're anywhere near Rosemont, Il. and wanna catch me, that's where I'll be.

I also wanted to share the following sketch. As most of you know, for the past year I've drawn "Necronomicomics"--a single panel cartoon that lampoons horror films--for Rue Morgue Magazine. Typically, I come up with a finished cartoon, send it off to them, and it gets printed without any fuss. But for the first time, I came up with an idea that I felt I should run by Rue Morgue's art director. I was concerned that I might be pushing the boundaries of good taste (yeah, I know it's for a horror movie magazine. Still, you can't be too careful). Here's the rough sketch I submitted...
The cartoon is lampooning the popular TV show, "The Walking Dead" (based on the popular comic book creator by Robert Kirkman). The concept is, Kirkman is pitching his comic to producer Frank Darabont (writer/director of "The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile" and former producer of "The Walking Dead"), and Darabont suggests a change in title and concept.

Now, my cartoon was not rejected because of the overt sexual innuendo. It was rejected because the cartoon made it seem like Darabont helped create "The Walking Dead", when in fact, it was a complete concept when Kirkman brought it to television. I saw the art director's point, and conceded. The fact is, I've got new installments of "Necronomicomics" backlogged for publication into the first quarter of 2013, so this was no big loss.

So that's it for this week, kids. Hope you're enjoying what's left of the summer. Have a brat, go for a walk, or catch a summer blockbuster at the local movie house. Just make the best of the days that lay before you.

--Jay 

2 comments:

Dennis said...

I'd have watched it........what I need something to pass the time while I breed rabbits with crabs to create Crabbits!

Bruce said...

Now that's fu***ng funny!