Wednesday, May 02, 2012

FREE COMIC BOOK (UP)DAY(TE)!



FREE COMIC BOOK DAY
 Okay, folks, this is your last Free Comic Book update (unless you follow me on Facebook and Twitter, in which case, you'll get double helpings of what I'm spooning out to you now). On Saturday, May 5th from 11 pm-3 pm,  myself, Joe Foo and Jay Jacot will be at 21st Century Comics in East Lansing, MI. I'll have a Bodie Troll mini-print that I'll be giving away for the occasion. And I'll have lots of stuff to sell--sketches, original artwork, and lots and lots of comics: copies of each volume of "Little Green Men", "Dead Duck", and copies from my increasingly dwindling supply of 2011 sketchbooks! Hope to see you there!  

DREAMWORKS
As I mentioned a few weeks back, Ape Entertainment is publishing "Dreamworks Animation Magazine", and I'm contributing artwork to the publication. You can see a sample of my stuff below:
MISTAKEN IDENTY OR FRAUD?
 On Monday night, I decided to see what pieces of Jay Fosgitt art were circulating on Ebay. You can typically find my sketch card work from my various Marvel Comics' sets done for Rittenhouse, and sometimes cards from lesser known (but still fun) series' done for 5finity and Breygent Marketing. Once in a blue moon, you might even come across the cards I did for the Star Wars Galaxy 5 set for Topps a few years ago. It was a card from that particular set that caught my attention, emblazoned with the description: Topps Star Wars Galaxy 5 Sketch Card, Shuttle Tydirium by artist Jay Fosgitt (you can check the card out here).  Problem is, I didn't draw it. Either the seller had mistakenly advertised this card as being drawn by me, or he drew the card himself and is trying to pass it off as my work (my name doesn't carry enough clout to warrant a high price tag for a card, so this second theory is pretty thin). I hastily rattled off the following note to the seller:

"Hi. I'm Jay Fosgitt. And I hate to break it to you, but I never drew this card. I see that the artist signed the card "JF", but it isn't me, and I can guarantee you that there is no other Jay Fosgitt on the planet besides me (believe me, I've researched it). I did contribute art to Star Wars Galaxy 5, but unlike this artist's style, my style is very cartoony, and I never drew ships (and if I did, they would be much better than this). So I'd appreciate it if you'd update your product info, partly because I wouldn't want this card sold under false pretenses, but mostly because I wouldn't want my name to be associated with such lousy artwork. If need be, you can visit my website www.jayfosgitt.com for verification of my artistic style, and you can contact me at fourpanelhero@hotmail.com if you'd like to discuss it further.
Thanks. --Jay"

As of this typing, the seller hasn't responded to me, nor has he removed my name from the description of the card. My next step is to contact Ebay and tell them of the falsification of the product, but I'm not sure whom to search out. If anyone has any advice in this area, I'd love to hear it.

COMMISSIONS
Here are a few I've done up in the past week. This first one was a request for me to draw Mickey, Donald and Goofy from their 1936 short, "Lonesome Ghosts". As you'll see, I added my own flavor to the piece by giving Goofy and Donald the uncharacteristic weapons of a chainsaw and a board with nails in it (Mickey did indeed brandish a shotgun in the original cartoon):
This second commission was a request from a repeat customer (and I truly appreciate repeat customers) who asked me to recreate the movie poster from the 1958 movie, "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman". The caveat was that I draw the customer's lady friend as the giantess:
That does it for this week! Come out and see me at 21st Century Comics in East Lansing this Saturday, and keep following my "Dead Duck" web comic every Monday and Thursday!

--Jay

No comments: