Sunday, March 15, 2009

ONE LAST TOUCH OF GRACE BEFORE DEADLINE….

My friends, this is it. Five days from now, I will be turning in the completed package of Dead Duck pages to my publisher. Seventeen years of conceptualizing Dead Duck and his world, and three years of hard work in creating the book, finding a publisher and taking care of all related odds and ends. And now, at the zero hour, just as I'm putting the final spit polish on my life's work, one last touch of grace settles gently upon my creation.



Doug Jones, the brilliant actor who portrayed Billy Butcherson in "Hocus Pocus", Abe Sapien, Death and the Chamberlain in the Hellboy films and Faun and Pale Man in Pan's Labyrinth, has written the most beautiful foreword for Dead Duck.

I had attempted to contact Doug a month or so back, figuring my odds of reaching him, let alone obtaining his involvement, were unlikely. After some time had passed, I read that Doug would be attending The Motor City Comic Con in May. I took this as a sign that I needed to try again. This time I included with my request a cartoon of Doug meeting Dead Duck and Zombie Chick. I have to think that's what initially got his attention.

Not long thereafter I received the nicest e-mail I've probably ever received from anyone. It was Doug, apologizing for the delay in his response (which he needn't have apologized for), complimenting my work and enthusiastically agreeing to write the foreword. Now, keep in mind that Doug's a very busy guy. And as he corresponded with me, he was away in Paris making a movie. So that he took the time to write me back at all was amazing. But that he agreed to my request and executed it in between his tight filming schedule, well…I mean…c'mon….I'm just…humbled.

And without giving it away (like Chris Sanders' brilliant pin-up, you'll have to buy the book to experience the magic), I'll tell you that it was the warmest, sweetest write up I could have hoped for. Doug has given my goofy and gruesome little creation a hint of elegance in his words. I knew when I chose to pursue his involvement that Doug was the best man for the job. He played the coolest version of Death EVER, as well as an awesome zombie. Had he played a duck in his career, I think the coincidence might have made my head explode. Doug was perfect, and what he wrote was better than I could have dreamed. You can view his very awesome website here.

So I had to share this little beacon of happiness that fell into my hands. I've been very fortunate in the events leading up to Dead Duck's publication, and very appreciative. If nothing else were to come of it, I'd be content to know I've accomplished this much.

Five days, folks. Your good vibes will continue to be appreciated.

--Jay

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Jay. Congrats! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jay, it's Char. Congratulations on everything and especially for following your instincts. They'll never put you wrong.

Anonymous said...

SWEET!!!

Anonymous said...

Jay...that is amazing. I'm really happy for you and excited to see your work. Be sure that I will be heading to the only comic book store in this rinkady town of Astoria when your book comes out.

Congrats
-Jason

Unknown said...

GO JAY GO!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I thought the Pale man was about the scariest thing I'd seen in a long time. What a nice connection.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Jay!!
I couldn't be happier for you or more proud to call you a friend :)
Counting the days till I can have a copy of my very own...
Many thoughts & well wishes!!
*hugs*
Theresa

Anonymous said...

Hey Howard the Duck is a DVD!

Cool... When Can I buy your comic?
Whats the release schedule?

Linds said...

Jay, I know this is an old blog, but I just had a chance to read it. You know, this whole working mom thing is a busy job. :) lol...Anyway. I am SO excited for you Jay. I love that your work is getting recognized by some of the idols in the creative industries. You deserve every word! Congrats again!!!